Thursday 12 February 2015

Sew Far

I've been dressmaking since May of last year. In that time, I have developed my dressmaking skills and techniques. What I love about sewing my own clothes is the freedom to create garments that suit who I am. I love being able to create clothes that reflect my image and that fit me and my lifestyle. I'm not massively body confident, but being able to make clothes that actually fit has really given me a self esteem boost. I love choosing my outfit for the day, now that I have so many handmade clothes.

Rather than go over and re-post every item that I have made in this time, I thought I would go over my top five makes. These are my favourites, the ones I have worn again and again. So here goes!

1. Black and White Polka Dot Clemence Skirt

I made this skirt to wear on my honeymoon in July last year. It's the Clemence Skirt from Love at First Stitch, by Tilly Walnes aka Tilly and the Buttons. It's a self drafted skirt pattern, so you fit it to your waist measurements and the skirt is gathered around the waistband. This means that the fit is perfect and it's so comfortable to wear.


I love the boldness of the fabric and it fits in brilliantly with the rest of my wardrobe. The skirt can be dressed up with a nice blouse or just a vest. It's perfect with tights and boots for the winter or sandals for the summer. 

2. Carmel Polka Dot Top

This was the very first garment I ever made. It's the New Look 6483 pattern. It was a simple make and whilst the fit isn't perfect, I wear it all the time. It's great for work paired with a chunky necklace and is so comfy too. It took me a while to realise how much I like wearing this top, so I am planning to make it in another fabric. I'm hoping this will be a good stash buster! 


3. Denim Hollyburn Skirt

I planned this skirt for ages before I could find the time to make it. In the end I finished it just in time for Christmas. It's the Hollyburn Skirt by Sewaholic. It was the second Hollyburn skirt I made, the first one being a lovely maroon corduroy. This denim one tops the corduroy one. It's a more accurate make and the first time I had ever sewn with denim. I love the topstitching on this and the fact that it goes with everything. I wear it every weekend without fail.  

4. Blue Daisy Print Megan Dress

Another make from Love at First Stitch by Tilly Walnes. The fabric was raided from my Mum's stash of fabric. I'm pretty sure it's cotton as it's so soft, in a lovely rich blue. This was the first dress I made. I made a muslin first, to check the fit, out of an old bedsheet! I'm so glad I did, because the fit of this dress is spot on. It's perfect for work with a chunky necklace and a bright cardigan.   


5. Red Pansy Alma Blouse

My pansy blouse is from the Alma pattern by Sewaholic. I dreamt and planned this make for ages, having bought the fabric cheaply online when buying bunting fabric from a craft website. I didn't have much time to make this blouse and ran into some problems with the cap sleeves - they were huge. I managed to fudge them and reduce them slightly but I'm still not that happy with them. I only wear this with a cardi over it, but I adore the print and colour so I still wear it lots.



So there they are. My five favourite makes so far. May there be many more! 


1 comment:

  1. These are all lovely! I particularly like the megan dress, blue is one of my favourite colours for dresses :)

    ReplyDelete