Thursday 19 February 2015

Navy Blue Polka Dot Top


What's this? Two posts in two days? Why, yes it is!!

I've been on a proper sewing binge this week. I'm not fast at sewing and I don't have a dedicated space, so it's not feasible to fit in any sewing during evenings. This means that I have to wait until weekends or school breaks to sew. Every school break, I plan for a few days uninterrupted sewing. This half term I have completed 3 tops, hence two posts in one day!



The navy blue polka dot top in question is the New Look 6483.  I made version C, which has a high scoop neck. This was the first garment I ever made. I made it in a tan polka dot fabric and whilst the construction is not the best, I wear it loads. It's great to wear to work with a chunky necklace and a cardi, so I've decided to make another stash-busting version.    


The fabric I used was some left over navy blue polka dot cotton from Calico Laine. There was just enough fabric and I used some navy blue cotton for the interfacing.  The pattern details say that it can be made in an hour but it took me much longer! Mostly because I didn't read the instructions correctly and followed the instructions for the wrong version. I ended up constructing it in the wrong order and had to unpick all the side and shoulder seams! D'oh! 


However, I did finish it!! What I like about this top is the ease of construction. It's a simple design, with only two darts and four piece to cut. The fit is good- it's not too fitted which makes it comfortable to wear. It's slightly large around the armcycles. I think if I make another I will cut arms slightly higher to avoid gaping. 




So not a very exciting garment but a great stash buster and wardrobe staple. I've got another make to show you all - I've had a productive week - so watch this space!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment