Sunday 15 February 2015

Half Term Sewing planning

Before I get into my sewing plans for next week - OMG the great British sewing bee!

Alex, the latest sewer to leave the Great British Sewing Bee.
Another great episode. I loved the idea of making a children's waistcoat and it was great to see so many variations on the pattern. I never think to make children's clothes, although I have a nephew and two nieces who would be willing recipients. I think they all did really well. I was especially impressed with Ryan's waistcoat and Lorna's bird outfit. Can't wait to see what challenges that have next week.

Anyways. It's half term. Few! When you work in a school (Yes, I'm a teacher), every term becomes a countdown until the next break. I don't have time to sew during the week and rarely manage to fit in time to sew at the weekends. Since January I have been working on a blouse but it's still not finished. So I inevitably end up planning and dreaming about what I'm going to make during my dedicated 'sewing days'.

My husband has put me on a ban from buying any more fabric since the box in which I keep my stash no longer closes. So, I'm on a stash busting mission.

Here's what I've got planned:

1. Green poppy print Megan dress with a collar

I got some great teal-green coloured polyester with a black poppy print from Fabricland in Brighton. I'm planning to make another Megan dress, since my first one fits so beautifully and I wear it all the time. For this one, I have envisioned a black peter pan collar. I've made collars before so in theory I know how to construct one. But have never drafted one before, so I'm not sure how to go about it. The dress has a facing at the neckline, so I'm hoping I can use this to maybe trace a collar? I think this is going to need some googling!

Green Poppy Print Fabric from Fabricland.

2. Navy blue polka dot top

I have around a metre left of some navy blue polka dot fabric and also some plain navy cotton which I used as lining. I was planning to make another New Look 6483 top with this, but have been deliberating in my mind if this is the best use for this fabric. I think it would be a useful wardrobe item, with Spring coming up and can see  that I will get a lot of wear from it.


3. Collette Sorbetto

I downloaded the free Sorbetto pattern from the Collette website online. I have a couple of pieces of voile which I'm hoping will be suitable for this pattern, one in turquoise and another white printed piece. Although I am concerned about the fact that anything I make might be see through.



I am so excited to get back behind my sewing machine again. Can't wait! What do you do with left over fabric? Any great stash-busting tips or patterns?

No comments:

Post a Comment