Wednesday 24 August 2016

Navy Tile Print Shirt Dress


One of the challenges of being a mum, aside from having a little person attached to you 24/7, is finding the right clothes. As a mum who is breastfeeding, where boobie access in a garment is paramount, this becomes even more difficult. One solution is a shirt dress.


I've had this fabric sitting around in my stash since I made a trip to Walthamstow market some time last year. It was always intended for a shirt dress,to add to my work wardrobe. I originally had the McCalls M6696 picked out following on from the black floral sleeveless version I made last year. However, since having a baby my waist mesurement is no longer the same, so I couldn't use my already cut out pattern pieces.


I instead chose to make this shirt dress by Threadcount. Ironically, I actually received this in my May subscription of Love Sewing magazine, which was brought into the hospital for me after I had given birth. I wasn't very sold on the image on the pattern, as I don't usually go for such a boxy shape with no fitting at the waist but decided to give this a go based on the photos in the magazine.  


I cut a size 12 on top, grading up to a size 14 at the hips and skirt. The fabric was some sort of viscose/poylester which was easy to cut out and work with. The instructions straight forward to follow and as I already have a fair amount of experience making shirts and shirt dresses, I was already familiar with the construction process of making a collar.



 
 


I made a few changes to the original pattern. The main one being that I shortened the sleeves, to make this dress summer appropriate and also a quicker make (no cuffs)! I shortened the length of the dress to make it knee length and also omitted some of the topstitching around the collar, as I couldn't be bothered. I used navy blue geometric printed buttons which I bought from my local fabric and haberdashery shop; I thought they matched the tile print nicely.


Although you can't see it, the construction of this dress went very well. I finished all the inside seams using my overlocker foot on my machine and the inside collar is slipstitched. My technique for sewing the collar and stand has really improved and is much more symmetrical now. I'm also pleased with the button placement on this dress.


I'm pleased with the finish of this dress. It looks nice on, it fits well and is comfortable to wear. I wear it with a belt in order to pull it in at the waist and this makes it feel more fitted. I wore this dress recently on a trip to London to go to Marcus Wearing's restaurant.  

I'm still very much liking shirt dresses, they feel comfortable and stylish and I love making them. I really want to have a go at the Cami dress by Pauline Alice or the Vintage Shirt Dress by Sew Over It.

1 comment:

  1. you look lovely! i've always wanted to make a shirtdress, i might have to give it a try :)

    ReplyDelete