Wednesday 31 August 2016

Navy Heart Clemence Skirt


I can't believe it's the end of August. The summer seems to have gone so quickly. Usually I would be planning for my return to school but this year I will be able to enjoy the late summer. One of the glaring holes in my current wardrobe are skirts. It's been so hot, I needed something cool to wear. 


I'm currently saving all my pennies for moving house, so haven't been able to buy any fabric. One of the only pieces of fabric I had left was 1.5 metres of this navy blue heart print. I bought this fabric on my trip to Walthamstow last year and it was originally intended to be another Tilly and the Buttons Mimi Blouse from Love at First Stitch. I was trying to figure out what sort of fabric would make a good skirt when I remembered I had this fabric!


The pattern I have used is the self-drafted Clemence pattern from Love at first Stitch. It was the ideal pattern as I only had 1.5 meters of fabric and I wouldn't need to trace out a correct size pattern, making it an easy make. Since I'm short on time these days, this helped cut down the tine it took me to cut and construct this skirt - I finished it in 3 days.


This is my second Clemence skirt, so I was familiar with the construction. I used French seams for the skirt seams, which give a neat finish. I had to sew this skirt over several days, doing a bit at a time to fit around the baby. This time I used my invisible zip foot, which I had forgotten I had but found when I was looking for my regular zip foot. 


I'm pleased with the finished skirt. The construction of my garments seem to be getting neater, which is either due to experience or because I am having to take my time. The fit of the skirt is good, however the waist is slightly loose since I first made it. 



I've since worn this skirt a few times, including a camping trip. It is very comfortable to wear and I will also be good to wear in the autumn and winter with tights, boots and a cardi.



1 comment: