Sunday 12 July 2015

Patchwork Progress


Hello everyone. Another long school week for me. Usually I'm starting to wind down right about now, but there seems to still be so much to get done! Never mind though, we break up at the end of this week and then I will get a much needed break.  

I've been managing to find some time to continue with my patchwork project. What I love about patchwork is that even though I don't have much time to dedicate to sewing at the moment, even half an hour can feel productive. 


It's hard work patchworking. For my project I need a total of 62 red squares and 62 blue squares. I've finally finished all the red squares and am really please with how they have turned out. I have got much better at developing a system to piece them together. It does still take ages though!


I've now started on the blue squares. To make two patchwork squares, I firstly take two fabric squares and cut each into quarters along the diagonal. I then sew the small triangles into pairs, one of each fabric. After pressing the seams flat I then sew two large triangles together to create a patchwork square.


I've started sewing 12 squares at a time, working through the process in stages: cutting all the squares into quarters, sewing small triangles together, pressing, sewing large triangles and then pressing. It certainly has made the process quicker. I've found that pressing the seams flat helps with the accuracy of the point in the centre although it does make the process take longer.

I've still got quite a bit to do before I can even begin constructing the finished project but I feel like I've made a good start!

What's on your sewing table?

No comments:

Post a Comment