Tuesday 23 June 2015

Favourite sewing gadgets

I quite like a gadget. If there's something out there that will make my life easier, then I'm all for it.

Fortunately for me, my hobbies of sewing and knitting provide me with many opportunities to invest in gadgets. There are many sewing tools or gadgets out there beyond the basic tools needed. I wanted to share with you my favourite gadgets, the ones that I use regularly and wouldn't be without.

Sewing Gadgets! From left: 1. Rotary Cutter 2. Seam Gauges 3. Clips 4. Overlocking Foot 5. Invisible Zip Foot 6. Bias Tape Makers

1. Rotary Cutter

I added this to my birthday wishlist last year and my Husband chose the Olaf Quick-Change Rotary Cutter (OMG! I had no idea how much this cost :-S). I didn't like it the first time I used it but have recently really taken to using it. It's invaluable for cutting out knits, bunting triangles or squares for patchwork.

2. Seam Gauges

I have two seam gauges: a transparent seam gauge by Prym and the Merchant and Mills seam gauge. I use both of them and they are definitely my absolute favourite gadget. I have rulers and tape measures but these make it so much easier to measure seams when pressing hems or checking seam widths.

3. Clips

These clips by Wonderclips are fantastically useful for holding seams together in place of pins. They can hold many layers of fabric and don't leave any marks unlike pins. Ideal when positioning a collar or waistband.   

3. Rotary Cutter

I added this to my birthday wishlist last year and my husband chose the Olaf Quick-Change Rotary Cutter (OMG! I had no idea how much this cost :-S). I didn't like it the first time I used it but have recently really taken to using it. It's invaluable for cutting out knits, bunting triangles or squares for patchwork.

4. and 5. Overlocker and Invisible Zip Feet

My overlooking foot has been a really good addition to my sewing machine and has really come into its own since I have bought a new sewing machine. I like the finish that this enables me to achieve on my garments and it helps the seams hold up after multiple washing. My Husband bought me an Invisible Zip foot for Christmas and it's so much easier to insert invisible zips into garments using this foot compared to a normal zip foot. This has really made my sewing life easier!

6. Bias Tape Makers

I also purchased two Bias Tape makers. The larger makes 1 inch wide bias tape, which I have used for bunting and the other makes 1/2 inch tape which I used to make bias tape for my Sorbetto vest. Although these have been an additional purchase, they enable me to make matching bias tape for garments or tape from fabric I already own, instead of buying ready made bias tape.

I think my next purchases will be a clear see-through ruler for patchwork and I could do with a vanishing fabric pen for marking fabric. I'm currently using a set of fabric pencils that aren't that brilliant.

What are your favourite sewing gadgets?

2 comments:

  1. I came on blogger to write a very similar post! I have just bought these - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Prym-Chalk-Wheel-Stick-Ergonomic/dp/B00DOXCWFQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1435130915&sr=8-1&keywords=prym+chalk+wheel - I used them yesterday and absolutely loved them, very easy to use and if put carbon paper underneath then it traces onto other side of fabric too, I have bought cartridges in white and yellow and unfortunately thats the only colours they have - i like blue chalk normally for marking notches etc but these work a treat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, snap! This looks great - will check it out. I'm more on the look out for pens for marking fabric, like notches and when patchworking. :-)

      Delete