Wednesday 6 June 2018

Fabric Haul!


Following on from Me Made May I've had a bit of a fabric shopping spree. There are not really any options for fabric shopping where I live, so I buy all of my fabric online and tend to splurge on a big order about once a year. 

This recent fabric haul comes from Fabricland. I knew that I wanted to make some jersey dresses and t-shirts so I have mainly bought jersey. Here's what I've bought: 



1. Blue and Yellow Floral Viscose  

I loved the print of these fabrics and the hints of yellow in the print. I bought 2m of this at £3.99 per metre. I originally planned to make a lovely summer dress using this fabric. It has a lovely drape but is quite lightweight and I'm worried it might be a bit see through. I'm not certain yet but I'm sure the correct project for this fabric will appear with time!
I've wanted a gingham dress for a while now and classic black and white check will go with a lot of accessorise and cardigans in my wardrobe. I think I've got 3m of this fabric which was £2.59 per metre. I have visions of something really simple: a knee length dress with a gathered waist, round neck and short sleeves. I have several patterns in my stash which might be suitable.  


3. Black and White Stripe Rib

Over this Winter I have enjoyed wearing my two Cleo Dungaree dresses by Tilly and the Buttons but have lacked any long sleeve t-shirts to go with them. I love anything stripy and so picked up 2m of this stripy rib fabric at a bargain at only £2.49 per metre. I'm planning on sewing a long sleeve Freya shirt from Tilly Walnes' latest book Stretch!
I had to have this jersey as soon as I saw it's lovely floral print. I don't think the photos on the Fabric Land website do this print much justice as it's beautifully detailed in real life and I love the pink, red and yellow colours. I also have 2m of this, bought at £4.99 per metre, which I originally intended to make another Freya t-shirt. However, it's very soft and with a lot of drape and I'm not sure it will work very well. I think it would make a lovely short sleeve Frankie t-shirt. Perfect for the summer.   


I've wanted to make another Moneta dress by Colette for ages, as mine have seen so much wear. What I love about this gray polka dot jersey is that it will be suitable to wear for work and also casually. This was £4.44 per m, I have plenty to make a dress and maybe also a t-shirt! 
Again, this fabric (£4.99 per m) is destined to also be another jersey dress, perhaps another Wren wrap dress by Colette. My previous wren dress has seen lots of wear but is made from a winter jersey so this one would be great for the summer. It's also another dress that could be worn for work or at home and I have plenty of red/pink/navy shoes and accessorise to go with it.  
This fabric is the only one which has been disappointing. It's made from a polyester, which doesn't bother me, but there is not a massive amount of stretch in the fabric. I had in mind making a Joni dress from Tilly Walnes' recent book Stretch! and thought the large scale print would look great. I also didn't realise the spots were navy and not black. I'm not sure if this will work out as Joni dress but at only £3.99 per m, I figure I might as well give it a go! If it all goes wrong, I can put a side zip in!


I'm currently in the process of washing all the fabrics so that they are ready for cutting out. I'm really excited to start sewing and am having trouble deciding which to make first! 

No comments:

Post a Comment